Wow – it is hard to believe this will be the fourth week of the market! I feel like we are just getting started with all that we have to offer here! Well peruse below for the many demonstrations, picnic and grilling purchases, and more, that one can find tomorrow from 4-8pm.
- Tree Pruning Demonstration @ 4:30pm: Davey Tree Expert Company, one of our market sponsors, will have a crew out to show us how one prunes a tree correctly at the market. They will be trimming up the tree on the SW corner of Kimball and North Grove. So bring your cameras and questions!
- How Can I Can? Canning Demonstration 4-8pm. The basics of how to get started with canning and its benefits with Elgin resident and canning enthusiast Amanda (Mandy) Garcia.
Raffle Prizes: Top three people chosen will get a Discovery Canning Kit and a Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving, plus a canning party sampler of coupons, samples, and beginner brochures! (Courtesy of the Discover You Can Grant)
- Music with Fun time Music DJ Greg all night long!
- Link Cards Work! Along with using your cash, check, and credit card at the market, we have smoothed out the kinks and Link cards now work at the market. So shop fresh and local!
- Get Healthy: Check out where you are with blood pressure and body fat with Alexian Brothers and/or check out what programs and walks are being offered through Hawthorne Hills Nature Center!
- For the Kids! Kids Row has Highland Fellowship Church & Christian Academy with games and prizes, plus try lettuce from Troggs Hollow farm here in Elgin and show your Gail Borden public library book for a prize! The Elgin Fire Dept. will also be out to give kids a tour of the trucks plus a firemen hat!
- Ideas for the Fourth picnic? Try various meat rub blends from Let’s Spice it Up, drizzle some honey from Reader’s Apiaries, get tips and a taste of grilled corn on the grill with Chef Quincy, get your fresh veggies for the salads and berries for pie from our four local farms, sweets for the dessert after from Cupcake Daddy and J&W Bakery, bread for the sandwiches from Bread for the Heart or Breadsmith, and oh we could go on and on:)
- Prep for the Fourth: Make sure you have your knives sharpened, you get dinner or a snack at our four different concession vendors to propel you into the weekend. You might also want to pick out a belated or early gift for that family member you will see this holiday whether it be art, crafts that benefit the Community Crisis Center, or get an Elgin Rewards card for free to give out to everyone!
So do not be scared by the heat by this end of the day market – with cold beverages and shaved ice nearby and your air conditioned vehicle or library close at hand! See you there:)